Learning Standards: What students should know and be able to do
Presumption that Common Core is predicated upon: More challenging learning standards will produce higher student achievement.
Analogies for Common Core learning standards' presumption:
- More challenging expectations for Americans' fitness - obesity redefined as a BMI of 28 rather than 30 - will produce a reduction in the nation's obesity level.
- Re-defining a marathon as 30 miles rather than 26.2 miles will produce faster, stronger runners.
- Increased management expectations for a positive worker attitude will produce a happier workforce.
- Stricter gun laws will produce safer communities.
- Reducing women's access to abortion will result in lower rates of child neglect, child abuse and child poverty.
- Telling your daughter that she must now clean the bathroom on Saturday in addition to doing her laundry, vacuuming and dusting will produce better chore completion.