Sunday, October 6, 2013
What are we missing here
We are CPS high school teachers, meaning that we spend a lot of time creating lessons for teenagers. Many of our teenagers are quite behind. We also spend a lot of time figuring out how our students are doing with their learning. Some of our students are even getting close to being ready for college. Maybe not Northwestern, but still. Teaching is our thing. If we were into the business world, we probably wouldn't be driving ten-year-old cars.
Nevertheless, even we can smell something fishy. Basic knowledge and some research yields the following facts:
1. Barbara Byrd Bennett is the CEO of CPS
2. Barbara Byrd Bennett has a side job: "Executive Coach in the Broad Superintendent Academy"
3. The Broad Foundation wants to tran$form public schools
4. On the Broad Foundation's Board of Governors are two President/CEOs of AIG
5. In 2008, AIG was the recipient of the biggest corporate bailout in American history. No citation needed for this one, readers. Urban Dictionary puts it best: "One of those heinously corrupt organizations that takes money-grubbing scum to new levels! These bastards took more than $160 billion in government bailout money and then gave top executives more than $160 million in bonuses."
Broad Institute + AIG = better schools for low-income city kids?? What are we missing here?